Gingerbread Cupcakes with a Cream Cheese Frosting

I recently read on Bakerella's blog that she was going to be profiled in the fall baking cookbook for Betty Crocker and knew I needed to hunt one down.  Well I finally found at Wal-Mart and was so excited to see what yummy recipes were inside.  I can definitely say this little book won't disappoint as there is something for everyone.


Hayden and I are going to attempt the Halloween cake pops featured on the front cover for his class party at the end of the month.  But yesterday I was feeling like fall at set in and what better thing to bake then Gingerbread Cupcakes.  I made a double batch so Faruq could take some to work and I would have enough for playdates I had this week.  They are super easy and so delicious.



Here is the recipe for both the cupcakes and frosting....

Cupcakes:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup fancy molasses (I personally wouldn't use the blackstrap as it's not as sweet at the other)
2 eggs
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 cup of water

Frosting:

1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups (1 lb) powdered sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons milk

How to put it all together...

  1. Heat oven to 375F.  Line cupcake pan with baking cups.
  2. In a large bowl beat granulated sugar, 1/2 cup butter, the molasses and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed or mix with a spoon.  Stir flour, baking soda , salt, ginger, cinnamon, the allspice and water.   Spoon about 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup.
  3. Bake 15 to 18 minutes (I only baked them 13 but my oven is pretty hot) or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool 5 minutes remove from pans to cooking rack.  Cool completely about 20 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile in a medium bowl beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, the lemon peel, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and the vanilla with electric mixer on low speed until smooth.  Beat in milk 1 teaspoon at a time, until spreadable.  ( I didn't need to add any milk to mine as it was spreadable already)
  5. Pipe or spread a generous amount of frosting on top of each cupcake.  Store covered in the refrigerator. 

(Recipe taken from the Betty Crocker "Fall Baking" magazine)

Next up "Trick or Treat Cheesecake" for Thanksgiving dinner this weekend.

post signature

1 comment:

Simplegirl said...

Wow those look fabulous and tasty!! Thank you for sharing the recipe. Thank you for your visit, I am now following your lovely blog.