Let's get real (part 1)

This has been a tough (& long) post to write because it's very real to me and sometimes real is not what I want to face.  Don't we all prefer to live in a perfect world where everything goes just as we plan.  Okay not really but I certainly like things to go my way as it just makes life easier.

I have shared openly my mission to get healthy and what I planned on doing to achieve that goal.  Seems so simple right... eat healthy, exercise and get lots of rest.  No brainer.   I mean really if we all followed those simple steps no one would have struggles with their weight.  I would have been (thin) healthy for the last 20 years and not had weight issues for most of my adult live.

But after bringing 3 beautiful children into this world I damn well wanted to be around to raise them so last March Faruq and I made the decision to try one more time to get this under control.  I have tried every program out there and while I had moderate success with most nothing was a permanent fix.  So we decided no quick weight lose programs for us. I knew this would take time doing it the slow &  steady way.

We found an awesome trainer to help with the exercise part (more on Stevie later).   I started using a terrific on-line program to track my food and I tried to get more sleep (tough with 3 kids).  Things were going so well for the first few months.  I was noticing changes with my body and was dropping clothing sizes.  Remember I chose not to weight myself before starting as numbers have always demoralized me so why bother.

Here's the catch....through my whole life I have had a tendency to get bore with things.  It has happened with  school,  work, hobbies, diets.  I identified this and was determined it would not happened again.  But those familiar bored feelings started to creep in. The first thing to slack was the eating not terrible choices not as good as possible but with the amount I was working out it equalled itself out (or so I thought).

We then left for a 5 week vacation and I was not in control of what was being cooked so I just tried to up my exercise.  I still didn't think I was slipping backwards but while upping my exercise I suffered an injury that potentially could sideline my progress for many months.   Honestly, was this the excuse I needed to stop exercising.  I would like to say "No" but I think that might be a lie.

After returning to Calgary my doctor confirmed I had strained (thankfully not torn) my Achilles tendon on my left foot.  It would be an easy 4-6 weeks rehab period so this would have been an ideal situation to give up the exercise.  I mean you can't exercise when you have an injury ... right !

Of course my hubby wouldn't say anything because he loves me and didn't want to hurt me.  One thing I have learned over the years is your husband should never be your sounding board for matters dealing with your  weight.  Anything he says will probably be taken the wrong way and feelings on both sides will get hurt.

So here I sat injured and honestly just wanting an excuse to give it all up.   What did I do?   How did my trainer help me ?

Until next time !!

post signature

1 comment:

TheFitHousewife said...

Oh Michelle, I know what you are talking about. I used to feel the same way. It's really hard to get in that "healthy mindset". For me, I have found amazing cookbooks that use "light" and other healthy and wholesome foods, but the food still tastes amazing. If your food is yummy and healthy, then you'll stick with it. As for working out, you need to find something that you love to do. That is the key.
Injuries suck...but you can still work out ;) Can't wait to hear more!