Adventures in Baking (Part 1)

So when I set out to Hayden's birthday cake this year I didn't realize I still had so much to learn about baking properly.  I have always considered myself to be pretty decent in the kitchen but lord I learnt so much last week I had to share a few of my tips.....

Firstly the cakes...Hayden stated early on that he wanted a chocolate cake so I tried no less then 6 chocolate cake recipes trying to find my favorite.  I honestly didn't know this cake would be so difficult to make but I found out pretty quick it was.

I turned to one of my favorite websites RecipeZaar and found what I think is one of the best cakes I have ever tasted.  You must try this chocolate cake....it is sooo moist and was a huge hit at the party.

For the Vanilla cake I used the following recipe I found on a YouTube channel called Serious Cakes.  This lady is extremely talented so you really must stop by and have a peek. 

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees (if using a darker pan set oven at 325) and grease your pans.

Ingredients:

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup of shortening
2 cups of granulated sugar
3 tsp of Vanilla
4 large eggs
1 3/4 cup of milk

Method:

In a small bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt (by sifting the ingredients it makes the cake a little softer).

In a large mixing bowl blend together the shortening and sugar scrapping the bowl a few times.  Beat until light and creamy but still a little grainy (approx 3 to 4 minutes).   Now add the vanilla and the eggs (one at a time).  Remember to scrap the bowl a few times so the ingredients are a mixed thoroughly.

Now you are going to alternate adding a 3rd of the flour mixture and a 3rd of the  milk until it is all added.  Do not over mix but ensure it is all incorporated.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes and check for doneness by putting a toothpick in the middle of the cake.  If it comes out nearly clean with just a few crumbs it's done.

Cool on a baking rake for 10 minutes then carefully run a knife around the edges and carefully turn cake out on the rake.  Once cooled wrap in saran wrap until you are ready to use.

This cake was a huge hit at the party and it will be my new vanilla "go to" cake !!

No comments: