Chicken Bruschetta

One of my favorite appies is Bruschetta so when I came across this recipe in Rose Reisman's cookbook "The Complete Light Kitchen" (one of my all time favorite cookbooks by the way) I knew it would be a keeper and it totally is.

(This was the leftover from the night before which I served with wild rice and steamed corn - It was still very yummy but I found the chicken lost it's crispy taste from being stored in the fridge)


Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 11 minutes
Serves: 4

What you will need:

4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
2 Tbsp low fat milk
1/2 cup dry seasoned breadcrumbs (I just used the plain ones I already had and they were fine)
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups diced plum tomatoes
1/4 chopped green onions
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp minced fresh garlic
pinch salt and freshly ground pepper
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (I used the fresh dried I had in the fridge)

How you make it:
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat lightly with cooking oil.
  2. Working with one at a time, place the chicken breast between two sheets of waxed paper and pound to an even 1/2 inch thickness.
  3. Place the flour on a plate. Beat the egg and milk together in a shallow bowl. Place the breadcrumbs on a separate plate.
  4. Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking oil, add the vegetable oil and place over medium-high heat.
  5. Coat each flattened chicken breast in flour , dip n the egg mixture, then coat in the breadcrumbs. Cook for 3 minutes per side or until browned and almost cooked through. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
  6. Stir the tomatoes, onions, oil, garlic , salt and pepper together in a bowl. Spoon over the chicken breasts. Sprinkle with the Parmesan. Bake in the center of the oven for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the tomato topping is hot. Sprinkle the basil overtop and serve immediately.

One thought I had was to make the tomato mixture the day before and let it sit in the fridge overnight so the flavors would really come through.

I think this would make an awesome appetizer as well and you could just cut the chicken into bite size pieces.

(I totally forgot to snap a picture before we dug in tonight but we are going to have the leftovers tomorrow for lunch so I will take a pic then.)

Stop by Kelly's Korner for more yummy dinner recipes !!

1 comment:

GarlicBOSS said...

the chicken sounds good like this