Weekly Wrap -Up (February 21st)

It was a quiet weekend around here because the girls and I are suffering with head colds yet again.  We had planned to go to Edmonton this week as Faruq and Hayden were both off but we decided in the end to just hang around here.  So we had a staycation in Calgary !!

I had a lovely evening with some old and new friends on Friday evening.  It was nice to enjoy a hot meal and adult conversation.   I am really trying to get out a little more this year so this was a good start.

For dinner on Saturday night I tried a new chicken dish in the crockpot and all I can say is WOW !!  It was a total hit with everyone (even my picky kid).  Sorry I forgot to take a picture but you can find the recipe here.  It is called Honey Sesame Chicken !!  Now I did change a few things to suit us.

  •  I didn't pepper my chicken as the kids don't particularly like really hot/spicy foods.  
  • When it was done I added 1/2 cup of cashews and omitted the sesame seeds so I guess it's now just Honey Chicken.
  • Also I added some broccoli for the last few minutes.
  • To thicken the sauce I added flour but I'm sure the cornstarch would work just as well.
  • Watch it when you thicken the sauce as it happens very quickly so I removed it from the heat of the crockpot.
  • We served in on brown rice but noodles would be great as well.
  • My cooking time was only 2.5 hours on low so depending on your crockpot it might not be as long as they recommend.
Sunday I spent most of the day on the sofa trying to get rid of this cold.  I managed to pull myself together to make it to my Wilton class.  I'm glad I went and I can now totally understand why bakers charge so much for wedding cakes with hundreds of flowers on them.  This time around we are learning how to make those lovely flowers & greenery.   Now I love cake decorating but these are very labor intensive so I'm not sure it's worth it well maybe for very special family or friends.  So if you get a cake from me with flowers on it consider yourself special.

BTW : Did you know Michaels has an app for the Android and iPhones that you can download for free. On there you can get the weekly sales coupon and you know longer need to print it off.  How did I not know about this?  For the iPhone just go to iTune and search Michaels under the applications section.  

It was nice having Monday off as well.  We spent the day cleaning out the kids rooms and I have to say they look lovely now.  Hayden's was by far the worse and he really needed his bookcases purged.  He has so many books and a lot he had read so we just needed to sort them for donation.  He is slowing moving from Lego's to model plane building so we packed away the Lego's.  His closets didn't take long because frankly he doesn't have many clothes.  He wears a school uniform 5 days a week so doesn't need a lot of clothes for the weekends.   I can't wait to the girls start at his school and I will have 3 in uniforms all week.  

Today we all returned to our regular routines and I have to say it was nice to get back to it.  Don't get me wrong I love it when the boys are around but I tend to get lazy when they are.  I guess because I know someone is here to pick up the slack.  With this silly head cold it was definitely nice having the help during the days but I know every time Faruq is home for a week he always gets the itch to get back to work as he will openly admit he is not sure how SAHM's do it day in and day out.  

Even though we were all sick it was a great weekend of really doing nothing !

How was your weekend ?


post signature

1 comment:

TheFitHousewife said...

I really want to take that cake decorating class at Michaels! And...I just downloaded that app. Thanks for letting us know. I always throw out the coupon when I need it ;)
Isn't it great trying out new Pinterest recipes?! I'm scared to try that recipe as it involves the slow cooker ;) I could probably just make it on the stove.