Mama's Weekly Wrap-up (February 19th)

I've had a quiet but busy week at home with the girls.  I have also figured out I don't want Faruq to ever work away from home for long periods of time.  I don't do well at the single parent thing.  Maybe if my kids were a little older and more self-sufficient but right now having 2 out of the 3 relying on you for most everything is very tiring.

We did managed to get up to a few things while the boys were away....

  • I have been trying to use some canned beans I have had in the cupboard for a little too long so I experimented with a few salad recipes.  The first one is a Chickpea salad.  I didn't add tomatoes because with me just eating it I figured they might go soggy before I finished it so instead I added a red pepper.  I also added 1/2 can of corn niblets and a splash of balsamic vinegar.  It was very yummy and I just made my third batch last night.
  • Another recipe I tried was this  Corn and Black bean salad.  I made it almost exactly as directed except I left out the cilantro only because I don't like the taste of it.  I also added some red pepper (I had a few in the fridge ready to expire) which added a nice crunch to the salad.  
  • For Valentines Day I made Red Velvet Cupcakes.   I used a recipe I found on Bakeralla's website but instead of making a cake I made cupcakes.  (I'm sorry I don't have a picture but I have no camera this week)   One word - AMAZING !!  I made a double batch and iced them with her simple cream cheese icing.  We spend Monday afternoon delivery them to our friends and by all accounts were very well received by all.  I'm going to give the cake a try for a friends birthday at the end of the month but I'm sure it will turn out just as well.
  • For dinner last night I tried this Roast Chicken recipe (just scroll past the salad recipe).  For some reason I have not roasted a lot of whole chicken's but it is by far more economical do to it that way so I vowed to try a few different recipes this year.  The recipe is definitely a keeper and I will try it again when Faruq and Hayden are back.  We had dinner last night with enough meat left over for sandwiches for lunch today and probably a casserole for dinner tonight.  I'm currently boiling the bones for soup tomorrow.  Do you have a favorite Roast Chicken recipe?  I would love to hear about it.
  • We had a quick visit with a friend passing through Calgary on her way to a new life in another country.  She and her family have been  living in Toronto for a few years.  Her husband is doctor and has accepted a job in Australia (Insert "Jealous" here).  We only had a night with them before they went onto Vancouver to see her folks before the big move but it was a lovely visit.  Now this just gives me another reason to visit that beautiful country.
  • I put this on my FB status yesterday but I'm very thankful for Steve Carell and Despicable Me this week.  My kids don't watch a lot of TV but this week out of necessity I had to find some way to distract Sophie from clinging to my leg every waking hour.  I think because Daddy disappeared she is most definitely going to be on the Mama train if it pulls out of the station.  She doesn't speak but her actions have spoken volumes.  Well I had to figure out something pretty quick or  I wasn't going to get anything done.  We tried a variety of different TV shows and she would last maybe five minutes but when we put Despicable Me on she watched almost an hour before she even moved from her little chair.  BINGO !  I felt like I won the jackpot.  I discovered when you hurry you can get an amazing amount done in 60 minutes.  So I will admit the movie was played just after breakfast and early afternoon this past week.
  • Anyone watch The L Word ?  While I'm waiting for new seasons of Mad Men, Dexter and Rescue Me I figured I would try a new series on Netflix.  It's actually a pretty good series and it's nice that have streamed all 6 seasons.
  • Survivor started this week but I haven't watched it yet as Faruq and I like to watch it together.  But it doesn't appear the ratings are that great.  I still find it hard to believe that it's in the 22th season.  I still remember going to a friends to watch the very first season finale when Richard Hatch one.
  • Amazing Race starts on Sunday.....Yea !!  This is my favorite reality based show.  Could you do the race with your spouse?  I honestly don't think I could with mine.  This week he has managed to get lost about a dozen times and I had provided him with directions to each place he was going.  I think men just don't have a sense of direction or at least a very good one.
With the weather so chilly in Calgary I think for the next few days I'm just going to snuggle with my honey and wee babies.  

Have a great weekend !!

post signature

No comments: