A few of my favorite things...

Even though Faruq and I  decided we would not exchange gifts this year for Christmas he still managed to surprise me with gifts that were perfect.

First he managed to snag a Kindle when they became available in Canada....Before 3 kids I was known to go through a dozen books in a month so I would say it was definitely a favorite past time of mine.  Now with life a little busier I have found it tough to even get through one book in a month and honestly I have had to become a little more selective about what I read.  With the Kindle I can download a sample of a book that might interest me and if I do in fact want to purchase it I can do so later.  The prices are reasonable for the books and downloads take just minutes.


I downloaded 4 books and took the Kindle to the hospital when I had Sophie.  It was awesome as I was on my own for quite a bit of the stay so it was nice to have it there.  It is lightweight and very user friendly.   While I still do miss the feel of a good paperback in my hands I'm quickly getting used to my new friend called Kindle.

My next favorite thing is actually two things but serve the same purpose....Cookbooks !!!  I love cookbooks and actually think I may need some intervention in that department.  But as long as I keep serving hubby new and delicious meals he doesn't usually complain about my obsessive compulsive nature when it comes to cookbooks.



The first cookbook he bought me was The Pioneer Women Cooks....I'm a fan of Ree Drummond and a frequent visitor to her blog  The Pioneer Woman.   So when I found a copy of her cookbook under the tree I was so excited.  It is quickly becoming a favorite as it is very well done.  There are pictures, pictures and more picture to illustrate step by step instructions on each recipe (love that about cookbooks).  I have tried a few of her recipes and all have been hits with the family thus far.  I can't wait to try more in the coming weeks.

The other cookbook I got was by another favorite of mine...Martha Stewart !  I'm not Martha nor do I ever think I will be but I have found with past cookbooks they are usually really done well as well.  I purchased her Cupcakes Cookbook a few months ago and have been pining for her Cookies Cookbook.  So after a few hundred hints Faruq finally figured out that this one would make another great gift.


I have yet to make any of the recipes but have already bookmarked a few that I want to try in the coming weeks.

So for someone not expecting anything for Christmas my wonderful and thoughtful hubby managed to still make it a very nice surprise for me.  Thank you Faruq for making it a special day for me after all !!

5 comments:

Keli said...

What a great husband, and his choice of gifts amazes me. I also love cookbooks and will join you in that intervention. I read them like novels, cannot put them down. I used to make lots of the recipes, but now that my children are all grown and gone I just read and imagine making most things.

Lindsay said...

I love love love Martha's cookbooks. Okay, so you'll have to report in a couple of months on the Kindle. My mom and I just had a convo about it. She's going to buy one, and I'm just not sure I am ready to give up the old-fashioned book. I want to know if you miss it.

Gothic ʚϊɞ said...

You lucky lucky girl! I have been aching for a Kindle since my Mom got hers last year. I can easily (when the kids allow it) read a book in one sitting. What a sweet thoughtful hubby!

Shana said...

Aww, he did so good! Way to go Faruq!

Anonymous said...

變天了~~注意身體,別感冒囉!........................................